Mountain Climbers are a killer exercise to fire up nearly every muscle group in the body—deltoids, biceps, triceps, chest, obliques, abdominals, quads, hamstrings and hip abductors. It’s truly a full body workout that gets your heart rate going in all the right ways! Mountain Climbers are also very accessible. You can perform them anywhere, because they require no equipment.
HOW TO DO A MOUNTAIN CLIMBER
- Start in a press-up position so your hands are directly under your chest at shoulder-width apart with straight arms.
- Your body should form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
- Lift your left foot off the floor and slowly pull your knee as close to your chest as possible.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with your right leg.
- Continue alternating for the desired amount of reps or time at a speed you’re comfortable with.
THE BENEFITS OF MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
Building total body strength
Mountain climbers are vital for increasing total body strength. It is a calisthenics exercise which works out the entire body at once.
Mountain climbers charge up your heart and breathing rates because your body has to work to provide your working tissues with oxygen and fuel. This type of stress develops your cardiovascular system, strengthening your heart and lungs, while also burning calories to support fat loss efforts.
Because mountain climbers are dynamic — meaning they involve constant, smooth, and repetitive movement — they’re great for increasing joint flexibility. Every repetition involves flexion and extension of the hips and knees, which loosens up the joints and improves mobility.
If you value efficient moves in your strength-training workouts, mountain climbers are a perfect fit. They are a compound exercise, meaning they work several joints and muscle groups simultaneously.
Happy sweating and remember to tag us on social media, using the hashtag #sunkissedbody.